Powered By Blogger

Thursday, August 12, 2010

The One Who Got Away

There are days that I feel inspired to talk about business, and then there are the days where it is just more fun to talk about personal experiences that makes us who we are. Today is one of THOSE days. This is a story about the one who got away...

Aaahhh, I have a good story about the one who got away, especially for the fishermen (of either gender) out there. Last year, we were taken deep sea fishing with a dear friend. Not only does he have a very fast boat (no, I do not remember the type of boat, but it was big, it was very fast and I could have spent DAYS on it) but he does competitive fishing.

Needless to say, he wanted to take a group of out to catch some fish. We all show up at the boat early in the morning in anticipation of catching some great fish. We all pile into the boat, we are shown where everything is, and we settle down to watch the land fall away as we wander off into the deep blue ocean. The air was cool, the sun was hot, it was a magnificent day to go fishing. Once we are away from the harbor and traffic lanes, our friend just opens up the boat and we are just flying across the water. Luckily I had strings to tie my hat on my head because otherwise, I would have lost my hat, so that is not what got away that day...

We stop at locations that only our friend understands, his sonar fish detector indicated there would be fish...so we kept loading up the hooks with cut up fish and tossing our hooks and bait overboard. We ended up feeding a lot of fish in the ocean and did not catch fish on those first few stops.

Eventually, as we stop and start all over the ocean, we start catching fish, granted there were small, and not legal to keep, but at least we started catching fish. Finally, after I started beliving that I had lost my fishing touch (I loved fishing with my father when I was a kid), my line gets hit and I actually hook a fish. Boy, these ocean fish are really strong.

Enthusiastically, I pull in the fish, thinking I must have a giant of a fish, but alas, it was not as big as the fight it put up. But, it was of LEGAL size. So, here I am, getting help unhooking this fish and proud that I finally caught a very good looking fish (it was colorful and had nice shape...I notice things like that...). I am happy, our friend is happy because I caught a good sized fish, so he goes walking along the side of the boat to put the fish in the cooler and wouldn't you know it, the fish twitched, and our friend DROPPED the fish overboard.

He was mortified and I couldn't stop laughing. I really didn't mind losing the fish, but he was so distraught and kept apologizing for essentially throwing my fish overboard. The fish did manage to swim away from what I saw, so I don't feel bad that it received it's freedom from the frying pan.

We spent the rest of the day looking for more fish, and ended up only catching small fish that we used to chum the water. Even though we didn't have a successful fishing trip, we had a fantastic time and developed stronger friendships from that boat trip. By the end of the day, my face was plastered in a continuous smile, that smile didn't go away until the next day and comes back very quickly every time I remember that great time we had on the boat..

So, that is the story of the one (fish) who got away, but I am glad the fish got away. Then I didn't have to clean and gut the fish, and honestly, I am not very good at cooking fish...so, it was best all around that the fish did get away. The picture on this blog is of the Sun Fish we did encounter while we were out fishing. This guy just kept swimming around the boat checking us out. We didn't hook it, but we did have loads of fun photographing it.

Because of the business we have created, we were able to take time out during the week and go fishing with our friends. Can you do that with your business and still earn an income? If you are interested in earning an extra income, check out our website for more ideas.

Until tomorrow...

Powered by Plinky

No comments:

Post a Comment