Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

New applications for everything electronic

Have you ever noticed how many applications are out there to supposedly make our lives easier? No matter how many things you think you already have to make life simple, there always seem to be more and more items out there that you MUST have. We have new IPhones that can do just about everything under the sun. We have at least a million applications (I know I am exaggerating, but come on, how many of these do we need?) that can be used on the new IPhone and any other new phone on the market. Everywhere you turn there seems to be a plethora of new applications for everything electronic.

I just started using a new application/website called Plinky.com. It was advertised as an application that will help you break writer's block. It is causing me some considerable heartache... Not sure if it is me or the website. The problem with all of these new applications is that I want each and every one of them. For those of you who may know me, I am a technology freak. I always want the latest and greatest electronic gadget. I love these new "toys" and get a kick out of learning what they can do. The problem with that is I can and do very easily get myself in gobs of trouble adding new applications to my computer or other electronic gadget. Do you actually go out and test the latest application before you load it? I used to try to, but now there are so many new apps and they seem to be released almost by the minute.

I have experimented with one of Google's newest browser's, Chrome. I really like the new browser, but really haven't decided if I like it because it is new, or if there is real benefit. What I did discover is that there seem to be bugs (at least for me) in Chrome because I am only running the browser without the supporting upgraded software. You may find this a tad odd, but I refuse to upgrade right now to Windows7. I didn't upgrade to the Windows before that because the the reported bugs, and am still plugging away on WindowsXP which is relatively robust. The upshot is I now use both Windows Explorer 7 AND Chrome at the same time...

You might think that this flies in the face of what I said earlier, that I love new technology and new applications. I still do, but what I hate more than that is unstable, badly written and buggy new technology. I am not saying that the new Windows versions are that, but I don't like rebooting my computer or getting hung up because an application failed to do what it was supposed to do. I like new stuff that has been tested. I am very hard on software, I expect consistency and reliability and go crazy when there are hiccups, especially if they cause me to be less efficient.

So, back to the new applications for everything electronic. I am always up for improvements, so when I find a new application that I haven't seen any bad press on (not just news but user reviews too) I will take the chance and download the application to my system. I do make sure my system is backed up in the event the whole thing crashes, but usually, the added application does not cause too much problems. What I have discovered though, is that I have loaded a ton of new applications that are supposedly making my life easier, but I can't keep track of all the new stuff and don't always see the benefits.

Once a month I end up going through my systems and review what has been added and if I ever used the new applications. What I am beginning to discover is that I add applications, play with them for a few days, then don't use them anymore. If I wasn't careful, I would fill up my systems with applications that looked cool but I don't use anymore. Loading new applications is almost an addiction. I have been very careful about loading new applications to my phone, but it is SO hard not to download the newest gadget.

Because of this, I have a bunch of questions... Do you have the same problems, wanting to load all these new applications whether you need them or not? How do you manage all your new applications? Did you ever discover one new application completely stepping on an existing application? How many times have you had to reformat your electronic device because you added too much that wasn't compatible?

Please feel free to leave your comments to these questions.

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment