Powered By Blogger

Thursday, August 5, 2010

One Thing I Learned Recently

Morning Meeting at the Fish Market in Vietnam

One thing that I learned recently is how to market myself to the media. I thought I understood how to present myself, but discovered there is a lot more to getting media attention than that one interview. What I learned today was that you can have anything you want if you position yourself to become famous. That encapsulated all that I have been trying to do.



What else I re-affirmed was that I need to be very, very clear on my branding. The good news is that I don't have to have "all" my ducks in a row before soliciting media attention, but I do need to know what I want and have something to promote.



I will be able to develop and strengthen my branding based on the feedback from the media. They can help. It is always better to meet the media in person instead of going through a PR firm. Many times PR firms will provide what they believe the media wants, not necessarily represent accurately what you want. Having a direct relationship with the media will allow them to remember your face, your voice, and better remember your ideas. You won't remain part of the crowd if you strive to meet the media and build a relationship with them.



P.T. Barnum stated, "Without publicity, a terrible thing happens - Nothing."

Powered by Plinky

No comments:

Post a Comment