Powered By Blogger

Friday, August 7, 2009

Day 7 of the Black Hills Rally

Well, we have completed what I would call the 7th day of the Black Hills Rally. It is Friday, but based on the crowd behavior, you would have expected it to be a Wednesday. There were not many people early in the day, they came out after noon.

I figured we had people later in the day because the weather was wonderful here and the bikers were probably getting in the last few rides before they had to head back to their respective homes. The weather in Custer has been great, we don't really get rain until much later in the day, usually around 7 or 8 pm after most people have either stopped for the night, or already headed back to Sturgis for the parties.

Today was no different other than it did get a good bit warm. Once and a while the breeze would kick up and we would get a much needed relief from the heat. What I find interesting here is the large quantity of grasshoppers that have appeared. Today it looked like they were swarming. We had a few hundred behind the tent and as you looked out towards the hills, you saw thousands of those little buggers flying all over. You couldn't walk anywhere with bunches of grasshoppers jumping away from your feet. There were also quite a few that would fly into you and either bounce off, or hang on for the ride. Hopefully the birds will come and eat all those bugs, the grasshoppers are all over, even jumping on people. I did have to laugh, the grasshoppers were so bad that as one gentleman walked past, there were grasshoppers on his back and one landed in his beard. He did a very interesting dance trying to remove the grasshopper from his beard...

We had a great thunderstorm here tonight, awesome lightning show that lasted about 20 minutes and continued to roll Southeast. We saw some very close lightning strikes, but it did not appear any fires followed. After the storm, the full moon came peaking out from the leftover clouds. It was an awesome moonrise.

Hopefully tomorrow will also be a beautiful day for the riders. We understand that Sturgis got hit with a significant hailstorm, and Rapid City had heavy rains and high winds. Custer only received that brief thunderstorm I talked about. Perhaps the weather all over the area will hold again for the day to allow riders to continue wandering around the Black Hills.

As much as I enjoy the activity during the Black Hills Rally, I am looking forward to having a few days off to catch up on all the paperwork. Just working a rally is fun, but there is a tremendous amount of paperwork that is involved before and after (including taxes...fun...). I would also love to have the chance to sleep in and be able to work on the computer when I want, not after the booth closes. I know, life is tough....I still get to ride and enjoy the great outdoors while some of you may be working in an office and not be able to get out on the road.

There is a lot to be said for being your own boss. There is a lot of work involved, but there is also the ability to make as much or as little money as you want when you want. You are in control (reasonably) of your own destiny. Your decisions may make or break your business. I would not trade this type of stress for a Corporate job. I don't mind the work, I guess you could call me a workaholic, but at least I am working for the benefit of myself and others. I feel I can make more of a difference in the world instead of working for someone else who may not want to help others.

I will get off my soapbox now. If you are interested in starting your own business, or want to grow your personal business, I will be starting another blog next week on that subject. I want to have an article or two posted by next week. Until then, have a wonderful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment