Powered By Blogger

Sunday, August 2, 2009

Day 2 of the Black Hills Rally

Hi everyone. This is going to be a relatively short post (I always think so, but end up with more to say than I originally expect). This morning of the rally started off slow, but definitely picked up steam around noon. The sun was out and the temperatures had to have gotten to mid- to upper 80's. The air was cool, which is what makes it so great to ride. We saw many riders with leathers on, but once they stopped and enjoyed the sun, the leathers came off.

Again, I can't stress enough how much fun the people are during rally week. The local merchants seem pleased to see the bikers (for some rallies, the merchants are not always thrilled to see us), the vendors are positive, and the local residents have been out to visit all the booths that are set up. It looks like the whole town is out to see the riders.

I did get a kick out of seeing the Flintstones' cars driving up and down the street today. I discovered that there is an attraction here called "Flintstones Bedrock City Park". They have a few vehicles that are made to represent the vehicles you used to see in the Flintstone's cartoons. At first I thought there was a mobile peanut driving up and down Main Street, but later realized it was a representation of a large log that was pointy at both ends. I did see the Flintmobile, which you used to watch Fred drive in the cartoon. I guess the other vehicle was the one that Barnie drove, but I am not sure on that.

As you drive past Bedrock City, you see a big replica of Dino (I think that is who it is...my cartoon trivia is lacking...). This park was established in 1966 and is over 40 years old. It is advertised as an amusement park and campground for all ages. Since I am not particularly a cartoon buff (if you haven't guessed that yet), this is probably a site I won't see this year. That is not to say I won't go, just not with the limited time we have this year.

If you have the opportunity to drive through Custer during Bike Week, you may also see "General Custer" waving at you. Several of the local citizens and Council members dress in period costumes to help bring the old Custer to life. You may find General Custer wandering the streets greeting people also.

We hope that the rally attendance gets bigger here as the week progresses. It is great to hear the thunder of motorcycles up and down the main street, and a lot of fun to see bikers wandering around a small western town. The more crowds there are, the more opportunity we will have to people watch, and the more I can talk to you about.

I will update everyone on my weight loss progress tomorrow (I know, I said I would do it today, but I forgot to step on the scale again this morning...). I will be giving weekly or bi-weekly updates on my weight loss since it has now started slowing down. As I mentioned in an earlier blog, I truly believe that a slow weight loss is better for the body and that once the weight comes off, it will tend to stay off. I don't want to be writing daily on weight loss that may be from 1-3 pounds a week, that would bore almost anyone to tears...

Take care and I will talk more tomorrow. If anyone is interested in what I am using for my weight loss (I haven't changed my eating habits one iota, but the weight is still coming off) you can get the information at http://www.hawgwash.irepcni.com/.

(And I thought I didn't have anything to write about tonight.....HA)

No comments:

Post a Comment