Powered By Blogger

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Home Based Business Advantages




Today we are not going to focus on business specifically but one of the advantages of having your own home based business. As we have discussed many times, having your own business allows you the freedom to work when you choose to, not when you are told to. The advantage is that you get to choose your best work times, the disadvantage is that you will probably end up working more than if you had a regular 40 hour a week job. The biggest difference is that you may work more, but you really enjoy what you do, so it really isn't "work".

Working at the computer in the study, I have a great view of the outside. Because I am not as stressed as I was when working for a Corporation full-time, I have the ability to enjoy the views outside my window. When I worked for a Corporation, I did have a window, but was so busy and so stressed that I never had the time nor inclination to look out the window. Looking out a window can provide a great amount of stress-relief because you have the ability to keep your work in perspective. Just because you may be slaving away at a desk, the world outside still keeps on moving. Honestly, nothing you do in your job will stop the sun from shining, or the clouds from floating around, or stop the birds from flying (barring any nuclear attack...).

By taking the time to look outside the window and keep your work in perspective with the rest of the world, you should be able to keep your stress levels down. Life is much bigger than just the job at your desk. Success is not really measured by how much work you get done in a particular day. If you stop working tomorrow, the world will continue to spin on it's axis, the sun will continue to rise and there will always be air to breathe. Working for yourself can be just as stressful, if not more so especially in this economy, so you need to remember to stop and look out your window to re-focus your priorities.

Looking out my window the other day, I saw the most beautiful cardinal. The picture does not do him justice, but it was great to be able to stop what I was doing and watch him for a while. It was neat that I could also stop long enough to grab my camera and take his picture. This morning, as I was preparing my first cup of coffee for the day, the dogs started going nuts. As I mad the turn around from the kitchen, I glimpsed some Javalina (wild pigs) wandering up to the front doorstep. They were heading off to where the bird feeder was to eat the seeds that had fallen to the ground. The pictures don't relay it, but all three of these Javalina were pretty large.

If I had been working a regular job, I would not have had the opportunity to enjoy these sights as much. I probably wouldn't have been looking out the window, and if I had, I would probably have been so stressed to not really care about what I was looking at. The pictures look washed out because I couldn't figure out in time how to make the flash on the camera stop. It was still pretty neat to see all this wildlife just outside the study window.
Remember, take time to look outside your window, even if you don't have your own home based business. Remember that life will continue on, despite what you may do today at your job. Keep your job and your life in balance, you will be much happier.
Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment