Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Sick Pup - Update

I just wanted to let you all know that our dog, Hawg, is doing much better today. Yesterday I was pretty brief about him being sick. He was having lots of trouble swallowing and I was worried that he had something stuck in his throat. I tried everything to ease his throat pain, to no avail. Since he looked uncomfortable only when swallowing, and not all the time, we decided to keep him calm and watch closely. If his swallowing got worse, we were all heading to the emergency vet.

To backtrack a bit, when Hawg doesn't want to play, you know he is not feeling well. Last evening, he was very listless and it looked like he was having a terrible time swallowing. Luckily, the calmer he was, the less he struggled with swallowing. We did get him to take a treat that seemed to go down OK, so we knew there was no big obstruction. My biggest fear was that he swallowed a cactus spine (he loves to eat the spines...don't ask me why) and it had somehow lodged in his throat. That would have definitely required a vet visit. But, since he did not have swallowing issues when he was resting, I suspected it was not a spine, or if it was, it was no longer lodged, but may have scratched or damaged his throat.

I tore the house apart looking for anything that may have caused this problem, but could not find anything that was partially ingested. I still have no idea what happened yesterday, but it scared the daylights out of me.

I spent most of the night just watching him for any significant changes to behavior, any indications that his pain was getting worse. By this morning, he was bright-eyed and playing again with no indication that his throat was sore at all. After some coaxing, he did eat his regular food and did drink water. By this evening, you could not tell he was feeling poorly yesterday. I am grateful that this crisis was averted.

Talk to you all later...

No comments:

Post a Comment