Powered By Blogger

Thursday, October 8, 2009

Adventures with Super Glue

Good day all. Today is not a day to be serious. How can I be serious when I receive an urgent request if I had any nail polish remover?

For those of you that know me, the last time I had nail polish on my finger nails was at least 10 years ago. I do keep a bottle of polish remover around here somewhere, but haven't had to use it in YEARS. The polish remover was purchased years ago because I had played a joke on a friend who kept falling asleep when we were all sitting around talking. So, one day, I got out an old bottle of nail polish and painted all his nails. At the time I forgot that I didn't have remover. Boy, was he pissed when he woke up and found both his fingers and toes painted...he was even madder when I didn't have the supplies to remove the paint.

So, fast forward to now. I am happily catching up on e-mails, and get this frantic yell down the hall...did I have any nail polish remover? Immediately I get up to see what is going on...

Apparently Steve had been trying to glue together a broken license plate light cover and ended up getting super glue all over both of his hands. He subsequently glued all of his fingers together, so both hands looked like cups, with the fingers all glued together. Unfortunately for him I started laughing. Then he started laughing. As he was laughing, he was trying to separate his fingers (to no avail) and then told me he had to go to the bathroom. He couldn't even unzip, let alone take care of business. That got me laughing even harder which made him laugh harder.

He then started begging me for the nail polish remover so he could separate his fingers. He said that the glue was getting harder and he couldn't even bend his fingers together anymore. That didn't help matters for me because I was laughing so hard I was crying. I can't see squat when I am laughing that hard, and I still had absolutely no idea where the nail polish remover was.

Here I am, laughing so hard I am crying, trying to look in cabinets, under sinks, in boxes for that elusive nail polish remover, all the while Steve is complaining that he has to go to the bathroom and was getting desperate. That didn't help me, I ended up laughing all the harder...poor Steve... I ended up dumping boxes upside down, trying to locate the nail polish remover.

I never did find the acetone (nail polish remover). What I ended up doing was spraying Simple Green (since it was in the bathroom already) all over his hands and then running water over the whole mess. Steve then started trying to pry his fingers apart while I kept spraying Simple Green and water on his hands. Eventually, the glue gave way and he could separate his fingers. It took time, and you can see the spots where the glue pulled a layer of skin off (not much, just really pulled dirt and a little bit of callous off). Steve is spending the rest of the day picking the glue off of his fingers.

Note to self, always keep a bottle of acetone in the medicine cabinet. You never know when you might need it and even though it is not medicine, it belongs where it can be found quickly.

Hopefully this brightened your day. Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment