Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

I'm Back from the "Black Hole" of Technology

Hi everyone,

I bet you have been wondering what happened to me, did I fall off the face of the earth? I actually think I did, this is the first time I had zero Internet AND Cell phone service at the same time. In order for me to use the cell phone, I had to ride 10 miles into town to get a decent signal. Since the battery on my laptop died, I couldn't just take the laptop along and use it wherever. Can't plug the laptop into the motorcycle, but that doesn't mean I won't find a way to do that later...hmmm more to work on...

Boy, in the 6 days I had no Internet, I thought I was going to go nuts. You don't realize just how much a person uses and/or relies on the Internet until you have absolutely no means of access. It was almost like going through withdrawals (which I know nothing about...no, really...well, maybe coffee...). We were in an out-of-the way place for a motorcycle rally (more on that later) and got there on Wednesday in anticipation of vendor set-up on Thursday.

Usually when you get in a to a show little early, you have a chance to catch up on any miscellaneous paperwork and e-mails that you couldn't get to while bumping down the road. Since this was a new location for us, I focused on navigating to the Saloon and not working on e-mails, Twitter, Facebook, etc. anticipating that I would have the time Wednesday evening. Boy, was that a bad idea.

The good news is that we survived the lack of wireless access with slightly frayed nerves. We couldn't leave until Monday morning because one of our UPS shipments was rescheduled from Friday delivery to Monday morning delivery (which we didn't know about until it was too late...yup, with no wireless, you can't follow the UPS shipment updates). You can bet we were chomping at the bit waiting for the UPS truck on Monday. We actually rode out 10 miles Sunday night to find enough Internet access to verify that the UPS shipment would truly arrive Monday. We were on the road by 10 am Monday, only to discover a large portion of the drive towards Sturgis, SD did not have good (consistent) Internet access. Can you imagine the frustration level then? By the time we arrived in Custer, SD late Monday, we had a decent Internet signal and very frayed nerves. We then discovered that although we did not have access to e-mail files, nothing stopped the e-mails from piling up for those 6 days. It was almost like being on vacation for a week. I forgot how bad it was coming back from vacation only to spend the next few weeks catching up on the messages that came in while gone...

I am back on-line and should be better at posting for at least the next 14 days. After that, I will actually work on getting information out and posted some way or the other on a regular basis... Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Stay tuned for my next blog as it will discuss the Angels' Straw Bale Bikefest. You will also get updates on my experiences with the Core4 products....

No comments:

Post a Comment