Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Run for the Wall - Day 7

Now that I am caught up, it is midnight and I have yet to get some sleep. 4:30 comes very quickly, so this segment will be brief. If you would like to read a full accounting of what happened today, please see www.rftwsr-2010.us. We have the full "Sit Reps" posted there along with pictures and some commentary.

Today we started in Meridian, Mississippi with a great breakfast provided by the wonderful citizens of Meridian. There were tables upon tables of baked muffins, breads, coffee, juice, SWEET TEA (I LOVE Sweet Tea) and water. Being polite, we took just one or two muffins, but the residents of Meridian kept pushing more and more muffins on us. I am starting to wonder if all the people at all the stops think we are underfed. They do such a great job of feeding us, pretty soon we are not going to be able to get back on our motorcycles. We will need cranes to lift our over-filled bellies onto our motorcycles so that we can ride off into the sunset (or in this current case, we are riding away from the Sunset - east...). Of course I am a major sucker for baked muffins, so I ate too much...again... but it is so wonderful, you can't help yourself...

Today was a relatively long day of riding, 322 miles so we don't have too much stopping to do. After Meridian, we rode to Tuscaloosa, Alabama to visit the VA Center/Hospital there. This is one of the few places that strive to serve all of us a balanced and healthy lunch. After lunch, we were able to wander around and visit with some of the people at the medical center and thank them for what they have sacrificed for our freedoms. It is touching to see these veterans here, on the mend. Some of the older residents do have stories to tell. Unfortunately, we cannot stay to spend a lot of time, so sadly we leave the VA Center to head off to another fun city, Ashville, AL.

We stop at the Piggley-Wiggley (I love the name of this chain of grocery stores..) and got to meet the mascot, Piggley-Wiggley. The residents of Ashville provided the tastiest hot dogs I have had in years. Actually, it is the best hot dog I have had in a year...I at hot dogs there last year too...

Anyway, after eating yet again (our mid-afternoon snack...) we then climbed back on the bikes to go to Chattanooga, TN for our evening stop. There we were treated to....DINNER... do you get the idea that we travel on our stomachs? It's true, we do... While dinner is being served we watched some more ceremonies (you can go to www.rftwsr-2010.us for the specifics) and then it is off to bed for everyone except me... Here I am typing away... and now it is time for me to hit the sack too. Tomorrow I will type a little better...

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment