Powered By Blogger

Friday, June 11, 2010

Milledgeville Thunder Rally

Well, today was the "official" first day of the Milledgeville Thunder Rally. As you know, we set up our booth yesterday and then spent the rest of the day networking with other vendors and chatting with the other participants that had also arrived early. Today, was the real opening of the rally.

Unfortunately it was an extremely HOT day to open too. I currently live in Arizona, so am relatively used to the heat, but Arizona usually doesn't have really high humidity unless it is mid-July through September. The weather website noted the humidity was at 100%. I thought 100% humidity meant rain, but trust me, there was absolutely no rain to be found here today. There were some really cool looking clouds moving around us, but nothing even hinted of rain today.

With the heat so intense today (the sun was out in full glory) and the humidity up so much, it was very difficult to get excited about much of anything. I had forgotten how bad humidity can feel, and completely forgot how to stay cool in situations like this. I remember when I was a child that when the humidity got to be too much, we just all hung out in the pool. Didn't have that luxury here today. Got to sit in, around, near the booth but no pool was in sight. I did get a good lead on a pond that was about a half a mile away. If it is this hot again tomorrow, you will find me in the pond, with a very long string to the booth. That way, if someone wants something, all they need to do is to tug on the string, and I will be there promptly (yeah, right, in my dreams...).

Anyway, I did survive a beastly hot and humid day today. What made the day fun was that the other vendors near us also made the best of a very uncomfortable situation. Carmen, the woman who sells this awesome frosted glassware, and I were singing Christmas carols throughout the day. If the song had the word "Snow" in it, we were singing it. Needless to say, the customers thought we were truly off our rockers. The good news was that the customers also enjoyed themselves when we were fooling around so much. You would normally expect people to be very crabby when it gets that hot and muggy, and perhaps they may have been if it had not been for Carmen and I singing Christmas songs... still makes me smile thinking about it. What is even funnier is that I can't sing worth a darn. You really don't want to hear the caterwauling that comes from me...but, in this heat, we all thought it was very funny...

Anyway, after singing our way through the worst of the day, the evening cooled off nicely. I am not sure if it is really cool, but the sun went down, so we were not baking, so by definition, it got cooler. Again, according to the weather forecast, it is not scheduled to get very cool tonight, but right now, I don't care, I am finally in a moderately air-conditioned motor home. 80 degrees with single digit humidity is just the ticket for me right now. Actually it feels a little nippy in here...may need a blanket tonight...and who is kidding who here???

After this rally is done, I will post pictures, you hopefully will enjoy where we have been. The views have been fabulous, the people even better (despite the heat and humidity) and the overall planning so far has been good.

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment