Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

How is your 2011 going so far?

When people ask me how my 2011 is going so far, I pause and look at them hard before I answer. The answer to that question can different based on who is asking the question. At first you may think I am crazy to even consider providing different answers for different people, but in reality, don't we all provide different answers to the same question to different people?

If a casual friend asks you how your 2011 is going, you would not divulge your deepest darkest fears, but mainly give them the overview of how your year has progressed so far. A close friend would most likely never ask how your year is going so far, if they are a close friend, they would already know. If others are inquiring about how your new year is turning out, well, it really depends on their frame of reference before you can really give them an honest answer.

To answer the question though, my 2011 is going better than expected, but not as well as hoped. Is that vague enough for all of you? Allow me to explain. The great news is that I am still deeply embedded in the consulting work I started in September. This project has been an absolute blast and the deeper I get into it, the more work I find and the more willing the company is to have me around.

I love finding and resolving problems, issues and process flows. Granted I have been a Finance/Accounting person for many, many years, but I absolutely love finding and resolving issues. The new computer system that has been implemented has a few warts, but the good news is that we are identifying the warts and are in the process of removing them. With luck, but the end of my work, the new system will look wonderful and behave even better. The "ugly baby" will become beautiful and a dream to work with.

On the other side, I would have LIKED to have been on the road already, heading out to our new round of rallies all over this wonderful country. The good news to this is that the weather has been VERY uncooperative, and if I had been traveling as I would have desired, most likely I would be stuck somewhere, buried under way too much snow.

So, the good news is that divine intervention has kept me closer to home so far this year and kept me from the worst that could happen. So in answer the the question, "How is my 2011 going so far?", upon further thought, my 2011 is going GREAT!

Hopefully your 2011 is going well so far too.

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment