Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Trapped Miners are being freed!

We are not going to have our weekly installment of trivia tonight because much bigger and much more important news is breaking as I type. The Chilean miners who have been trapped in the mine since August 2nd are finally, slowly being taken out of the mine.

I watched with bated breath as they did final testing of the capsule. I was even more tense as they lowered the first rescuer to the miners. It was awesome to see the live video feed from inside the mine, watching the rescuer exit from the capsule and watching the miners, come to greet him. I was extremely impressed with the order and discipline of the miners as they met, in person, a new person. These miners have not seen anyone else for 62 days, and I can't imagine the feelings going through them when the set their eyes on their first actual rescuer.

There was a lot of chores and tasks that I should have been doing tonight, but I made sure my priorities were in place. It is important to see people being rescued, there is far too much bad news in the news today, so it was with anticipation and great relief to see the first miner being lifted in the capsule and brought to the surface of the mine. There were tears in my eyes when I saw the first miner step outside of the capsule and be greeted by his children and wife, and the President of Chile. It was an awesome event.

I continue to watch as they lower the second rescuer to the miners, and now they have successfully brought up the second miner. This is a great day for the Chilean miners, families and for people around the world. It is great to see technology in action, helping people, and it is even better to hear the news report good things and keep the negative spin down to a minimum. This is a day of celebration, different countries came together to successfully get these miners out sooner than originally anticipated and in much better health than we all expected.

So tonight is a celebration of life, and of people helping people, regardless of what country they are from. Enjoy.

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment