Powered By Blogger

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Thanksgiving Holiday Craziness

Well, I have been off-line for a full week now and am soooo glad to be back on the computer. No, I did not manage to get another virus, I just followed what I preach, taking care of home and family first, then business. Granted, the Thanksgiving holiday / weekend was only 4 days, and I was off-line for 7, but I do have very good reasons...Thanksgiving Holiday Craziness...

The craziness is not as bad as it sounds. First off, I was blessed, and thankful for having my father visit us for this holiday weekend. This is the first time we have had him over in a very long time, and it was a real pleasure to have him visit. Now, because it has been so long since he as come to visit, there was also quite a bit of anticipation and worry too. The house had to be cleaned, (my rules, not his), the menu for the weekend had to be prepared and appropriate food purchased (again, my rules, not his) and then there was trying to figure out what to do for the 4 days that he was going to be visiting.

This planning took it's toll on me, I am not a big one for planning meals, and usually like cooking less than that, but since it was a special occasion, I gladly threw myself into the task of preparing menus for the weekend. What I had not anticipated was the exhaustion related to all the planning, rushing around and organizing prior to the VISIT. By Wednesday, the day my father was to arrive, I was already tired and I had yet to prepare dinner for the evening. As it turned out, my father was late in arriving (no big surprise there because of the holiday traffic) so I didn't have to rush as much as I had.

So, once my dad was safely at home, then it was time to catch up on all that we could not discuss over the phone. After a light dinner, we spent many hours talking late into the night. I spent the next morning preparing food to bring to the Thanksgiving Dinner our neighbors hosted. We wandered over to their home and spent a wonderful Thanksgiving sharing time and tales with others. My dad had the time of his life, taking pictures of all the people at the meal, and making new friends. We then waddled back home and sat in a semi-comatose state watching football the rest of the evening.

The rest of the weekend was spent running around doing little errands and sight-seeing and then being home, cooking, eating, and watching football. Since the holiday traffic was so difficult, we all agreed it would be best if my father remained through Monday. This was the best idea we could have had, and we all felt much better knowing my father would not have to navigate traffic on his way home.

I was extremely surprised about how tired I was Monday night. When I returned home from work, it was all I could do to keep my eyes open. I fell asleep almost instantly on the couch and didn't wake until the wee hours of the morning. I guess the Thanksgiving holiday craziness carried over into Monday...

Tuesday was almost as bad, but I did learn a very valuable lesson on Tuesday... when I got home from work, I wasn't terribly hungry, but was craving some yam casserole. I LOVE yam casserole, and had made enough to last into the week. Well, all I ate on Tuesday was Yam casserole, and boy, it tasted great. The problem was that after I had a full belly of yams, I fell asleep again...

The bigger problem??? Well, if you eat enough yams and nothing else, you will clean your internal pipes the next day... I forgot about that little detail when gorging on yams Tuesday. Waking up Wednesday morning to a belly ache, I thought I had just consumed too many yams... little did I know how that feeling would change... let's just say that even the pain passed.... I think I lost 10 pounds of ugly yuch from my guts.... The good news is that once all the yams made their way through my system, everything calmed down. I now have a very clean set of pipes and learned never, NEVER to eat just yams for dinner. Thankfully Thanksgiving comes only once a year. So next year I will be better prepared for Thanksgiving Holiday Craziness.

I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving Holiday. We have so much to be thankful for.

Tomorrow we will have another millionaire focus.

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment