Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Run for the Wall - pre run jitters

These blogs are going to be very short, since they will be posted the end of each day, after all my chores/tasks/ responsibilities are completed.  This will be my 7th Run for the Wall (RFTW), and I am as nervous about this run as I was when I first did the run in 2005.

The difference between the run this year and my first run, is obviously, RFTW has become my extended family.  There are people I only get to see once a year, and it is wonderful and inspiring to see them each year.  This year, the pre-run events started in Ranch Cucomonga, CA on Sunday, and the days have been extremely hot.  We have had meetings both Monday and Tuesday, and a wonderful dinner was served to all the riders this Tuesday evening.

We had some awesome entertainment, we had the Marines from Pendleton today provide the Colors for our evening celebration.  We had some wonderful singers keep us entertained while eating, and we had a great time catching up with everyone prior to our departure tomorrow.  Today was like a homecoming, we got to see many old friends, and are already beginning to welcome more new friends to our family.

We are now all bunking down, in anticipation of the start of the run tomorrow morning.  It is amazing how much still needs to be done before we head out tomorrow.  I look at my bike and realize that I need to re-pack it once again, because everything is not where I want it to be.  I can assure you that this exercise will happen each evening for the next few nights until I get everything in it's proper place for the run.

I have not participated in the Run (acutally I have always participated, but was unable to ride all the way) for the last 2 years, so this year is really exciting for me.  Even though I have not ridden with everyone for 2 years, it still feels like yesterday.

I can't wait for the run to leave, Central Route heading north(ish) and Southern Route heading towards Phoenix, AZ.  It will be warm, but we are prepared.  We will be working with all the riders to be sure they have been drinking enough water and very little caffeine.  The weather looks like it will be kind to us tomorrow, so if all goes like prior runs, if we leave in good weather, will will have good weather for the whole run.

It is now time to hit the sack.  My clothes for tomorrow are already staged, I have my bike somewhat re-packed, and all that needs to be done is to get some sleep.  Tomorrow will come early and I have to make sure that everything is packed securely on the bike tomorrow morning.

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment