Powered By Blogger

Thursday, November 18, 2010

My Boredom Cures

There are many times throughout the day that I find myself working a task that I find insanely boring. The key is to find SOMETHING interesting about that task to make it easier to complete and not bore you to death.


288/365 Sleepy Drunk...

How to cure boredom can be very challenging. If you are working for a company or working for yourself, you can also get very bored with the same types of tasks day in and day out. Some tricks I developed to cure boredom are to find something different about the current boring task I am currently doing. If it is a form of data entry I would search the screen for any anomalies, or look for patterns that I hadn't noticed before.



For boredom when working a home based business (and yes, even though working your own business can be very exciting, there are times when things get extremely dull) I look for opportunities to improve processes. If I am recording financial data from the business, I will not only work on entering the data, but on ways to improve the data collection and try to determine how I want my reports to look. Even if you have a report that you currently like, there are many different ways you can look through data and analyse the information. I find it exciting to discover new ways to look at old information and see if new ideas can be generated from that new approach.



If I am unable to cure boredom from some of these exercises, it is time to move to "Plan B". That usually entails getting up from the desk, and taking a brisk walk around the block. That brisk walk can be very interesting and very invigorating especially since some of the blocks I may walk around are not your standard city block. If it is raining outside (and I get VERY bored when it is raining) I will take out my exercise ball and play on that for about a half an hour.



Basically, if I find myself getting bored and unable to get past the boredom, I will get up and do some light exercising. Exercising tends to clear my head and allow me to re-look at what I am doing with fresh eyes. While exercising, I will put on some up-beat music or a comedy show on the TV. This gives my brain a break from the boring task at hand so that when the exercise is complete, I am both mentally and physically prepared to complete the original task.



If even exercising is not effective, then it is time to go to "Plan C" which is to hop on the motorcycle and take a ride. The best part of that ride is that I point the bike in a direction and just go, there is no plan in place. By not specifically planning my ride, I leave myself open for more opportunities and a fresh outlook on life in general. I have yet to discover myself bored after going on a motorcycle ride.



The best part about beating boredom is that when you actually sit back down to complete the boring task, you are more energized and will complete the task quickly and accurately. I have discovered that if I try to just work through the boredom without taking a break, mistakes will occur and you end up working that particular boring task for much longer than was necessary.



Good luck kicking boredom to the curb...

If you are looking for an additional income opportunity, please check out our website.

Until tomorrow...

Powered by Plinky

No comments:

Post a Comment